The zero problem

I have a problem with the number zero. Not a mathematical problem - I like the usefulness of the number zero in calculations. I have a problem with the use of this number as a size for clothing.

My problem is that it makes no sense beyond baby clothes. I don't have a problem with 0, 00, 000, 0000 when found on tiny labels on tiny clothes for tiny people. Not every child will need clothes in all of these numbers, and they will need them for almost zero amount of time with the rate at which small children grow. But why would anyone want to label clothes for adults with a zero? What is it supposed to even mean? Let alone that I found out a few months ago there is even a 00 for adults. WHY?!

I quite like the Australian size system. However, this sensible system seems to be thrown out for formal or wedding dresses - whether this is because we don't have any Australian designers stocking in Australian stores, or because it is an attempt to maintain the illusion of consistency, or something else, I don't know. Whatever the reason, I don't like it.

Zero marks a lack, an absence - what does a size zero then say about a woman? That she is ideal or imaginary? So barely there as to basically not be there? And why is the zero size only in women's clothing? Why does fashion seem to congratulate a woman for being a size zero, like this is the ideal body shape? Why does a woman's self-esteem sometimes line up with which dress size they are able (or not able) to wear?

I have been in three weddings over the last three years. One dress was custom made by a dressmaker for each woman in the bridal party, but the other two weddings had store bought dresses. I have loved all of these dresses (and still do!), and have enjoyed the privilege it is to be a part of the journey towards these couples becoming husband and wife on each of their special days. And yet, in the six months between one wedding and trying on dresses for the most recent wedding, apparently my dress size changed while I did not. I resented and suspected the staff at the bridal boutique who informed me that I should get the dreaded size zero. I would have doubted them more, except that they were so helpful in finding my sister's gorgeous wedding dress a few months earlier, and they took my measurements and showed me the designer's measurements for the size zero and the size 2. The worst part was deciding which to buy, knowing I couldn't try on a size zero from that range as they didn't have any in store, and knowing I would be interstate when the dress arrived, so that any alterations would have to be done in the week before the wedding.

So I ordered the zero, and spent the summer stressed that I would put on weight and no longer fit in the dress for the April wedding.

There seems to be a major focus on weight issues, especially weight loss, in the media lately. And while there is a huge problem in Australia and other similar countries with obesity and the health problems related to obesity, there are also plenty of people who struggle with believing they are overweight when they are not. Do we have a healthy concern for good health, or an unhealthy obsession with physical perfection? Do we like to believe that thin people have no health problems? Or that thin people can't be unhealthy? For years I have worried when people have asked if I have lost weight. I want to be healthier, not thinner. Fit, not invisible.

In the end, I didn't need to worry. The dress fitted, and even if I had put weight on it would have been fine, because it had a lace up back (which I had forgotten about). The weather was fantastic, and everything went fairly smoothly, and I believe everyone had a great time. I know I did!


On another note, I have now joined the ranks of those who have had their email accounts hacked. So if you have received an email or two from me on Friday afternoon (Australian time) with only a link to a website, please don't open the links!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458