882

It is amazing how quiet a year can be from an historical perspective. I just looked up the year 882AD, and aparently the only significant even which occured was that Marius I began his reign as pope on December 16, succeeding John VIII. Interesting that the death of the previous pope didn't rate a mention! (See this.) 882BC didn't even rate a page on that website!

Wait! I take that back! It was listed under Famous Deaths for December 16 - quick election of the next pope! It also seemed to be a year for the death of kings, with the German and French kings both dying, although according to the page Loius III of France managed to die twice? (August 5 and 25) (This page. Amusingly, see here for the same information!) Maybe I should have started with Wikipedia... which at least confirms that these three men died. (Reluctantly linking here.)

All of this because, as I have watched the stats on pageviews for this blog increase, I have though it might be interesting to mention some fascinating (and probably obscure) historical references, at least until the count passes the current year. These posts will probably be brief, and have a title which only has a number.

I hope you enjoy the tour through history! Hopefully I'll be able to find more reputable sources next time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458