And back again!

Last Friday I drove back across to the right side of the border. That's how it feels when I drive back, although I don't have anything (really) against the state I'm living in this year!

It is amazing the difference it makes to have someone on a road trip to keep you company. Easier to stay awake, shorter breaks, and someone to change CDs! Someone to discuss the road conditions with as things happen. And a chance to catch up with a friend.

I was wondering what the traffic might be like, given that I was driving across on Good Friday, but I also wondered how many places might be open (Good Friday is a public holiday here in Australia). Traffic flowed fairly smoothly, except for one notable exception around a small town early in the drive, where cars slowed to less than 40km/hr, sometimes as slow as 25km/hr, from several kilometers before the town until we left the last fringe of the town. Mysteriously, there seemed to be no apparent reason for the slow down, with no car accidents (a great relief), no police, only a few traffic lights. And enough places were open to give us options for food and petrol!

Speaking of Good Friday, what does Easter look like for you? This year was a very unusual Easter experience for me, with driving all day Friday after church in the morning, a hen's party most of Saturday, and a trip to the zoo on Sunday with my Mum, my sisters and their families. But it was a great weekend!

This year I have had the feeling of wanting to be in more than one place at the same time, wanting to be able to spend time with people on both sides of the state border, as well as with people who are currently in other countries. This is especially so at the moment, with Easter and a friend's wedding in one state, while almost all the others I am studying with are back in the other state. In an attempt to be part of Easter on both sides of the border, I attempted making cake pops for the first time, to give to the families.

Once again, it didn't sound too complicated, and yet there were many opportunities for laughter throughout the process! Baking a cake and lettting it cool - easy. Mixing in cream cheese and icing sugar - not bad. Shaping the mixture into egg shaped balls - hilarious! Let alone dipping or rolling them in melted, coloured chocolate. Apparently the results were enjoyable, although I will have to try making them again to know for sure, as I gave them all away!


It was especially fun to be able to present them in egg cartons! The children called them eggs when asked what they were, despite some dubious shapes in the mix!

This process made me reflect on the effort my grandparents must have put in over the years when they made our chocolate eggs/chickens, for adults and children, a total of about 20 people! Those home made chocolates and the Easter hunt at my grandparent's home are some of my favourite memories of childhood. I hope you had people around you who made an effort to make this Easter special and meaningful for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458