My favourite recipe: Potato Quiche

Sadly, I expect to be defeated by my own challenge.

And yet it was so much fun designing it, and contemplating it, that I plan to continue with it, even though the 2020 deadline looms far too close.

When I drafted a list of recipes I might try for this challenge, I expected to have a cake for this category - specifically Black Forest Cake. Just, yum!

But now that I am living on my own I am doing much more savoury cooking because people need to eat every day, apparently. ;) And so there are a few recipes, a few dishes, which I have made several times because they are familiar and/or simple enough to throw together after a day at work.

My Mum's potato quiche recipe is a favourite of mine. I associate it with Thursday nights when my sisters and I had netball training, because it was something Mum could cook during the day to have ready. This could be a false association, a false memory, but that is where it fits in my mind.

And since I have only myself to please or displease with my cooking most of the time, I have made several attempts to modify the recipe.

The recipe is reasonably simple: pastry, potato, onion, cheese, eggs and milk. Mum always made her own pastry, and when she sent me the recipe, I realised for the first time that the original had wholemeal flour. I have no memory of Mum ever using anything but white flour, and white flour is what I've mostly used this year too.

My first adaptation was to swap out the brown onion for a red, or Spanish, onion. Barely any difference in the colour of the mix before cooking. No noticeable taste difference, and no visual difference after cooking.

Either the standard recipe, or with red onion. I can't tell!

My second adaptation stepped it up a bit further, with sweet potato instead of white potato, and again used red onion. Definite visual difference this time before cooking! The mix is usually very yellow, so the orange of the sweet potato stands out immediately. After cooking, it still looked very different. And it actually tastes different too! Love it.

Pre-cooked sweet potato quiche variant.
After cooking. You can see the orange flecks of sweet potato!

For the third adaptation I went back to white potato, kept the red onion, but used wholemeal flour instead of white flour. Quite a different texture! I like it.

Pre-cooked quiche with wholemeal pastry.

After cooking, the wholemeal pastry is less obvious. But you can taste the difference!

Doing the recipe several times this year has given me the chance to practise my pastry skills. I'm surprised at how different the pastry can turn out each time, depending on how exactly I balance the flour and the liquid, how smoothly I can roll it out, and how much fiddling I have to do to make it the right height for my quiche dish.

Plus, making quiche is an excuse to use my blue willow quiche dish!

Now, to new recipes! So many categories to try!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

Of snow and mountains