A bite to eat

It has been a while since I have baked anything, or cooked a meal which was noteworthy, but while we were on mid semester break I found a new cake tin. And I have made time to use it!


This tin has four semi-circular sections and two straight sections, and is designed so that letters and numbers can be created without the fuss of cutting cakes into different shapes. So I made a cake mix (taking the opportunity to try a gluten-free recipe), put it in five of the six sections, and then tried to work out what shape I could make with the baked pieces. So here is my basic butter cake:


Why orange icing? Because the yellow icing looked a bit too much like mustard to be spread over a cake, and I have used green icing recently. Next time, I might try a purple shade...

I really appreciated the reduction in cooking time, as the smaller sections cooked more like muffins or cupcakes than normal cake. And it was appreciated at morning tea! One day I may make a few cakes and see what message could be conveyed - I'm sure it will taste good as well as look interesting!

In the meantime, I have had a second attempt at this recipe, this time in a square tin, following the instructions to make it a 'tea cake' - which basically means spreading melted butter on top and dusting it with cinnamon!


I used two types of sugar: on the left side of the cake is orange cinnamon sugar; on the right side of the cake is choc mint sugar (thanks to a handy little container I bought a few weeks ago with four types of sugar). It has been sliced irregularly, with most people so far wanting to try both halves, so it has been cut further in the middle than on the edges.

On Saturday I went out for lunch with a friend to the same tea house I went to for breakfast on my birthday. We were both a bit excited to try some new tea, and to eat something different too! I had the Bolero tea, which was amazing, with citrus scent and tone in a black tea, while my friend had the French Breakfast tea I had enjoyed last time. A vegetable tart with cashews in it was my choice, while my friend had the maple chicken burger. A pair of empty plates testified to the delicious food!

I hope you enjoyed something new over the weekend, or the comfort of something familiar which gives you great pleasure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458