Autumn or winter

When I am asked which is my favourite season, I usually say autumn or winter. If there is no reason for me to be outside very often, I really like winter. If there is a reason for me to be outside often, then I prefer autumn. I don't mind the cold and wet weather of winter as long as I don't need to get wet!

Where I have lived most of my life, autumn is the time of year that the world begins to become green after the yellow of summer, with winter bringing deeper colours out of the environment. I have not yet experienced snow, so my experience of winter is wet but not white. In fact, some of my favourite things flower in winter here in Australia: sour sobs and almond trees. Sour sobs flower a bright yellow colour, while almond trees (at least the ones we had) have white flowers with pink centres.


The winter image which stands out most clearly in my mind is our almond orchard in blossom, with a carpet of sour sobs, green hills rolling down to the blue sea, with a clear blue sky. Maybe with a few white clouds. This is the image of home for me. Something like the picture below, the closest photo I have to the image in my head.


I don't mind cold and wet weather because it gives me an excuse to do more of the indoor things which I really enjoy - most notably reading and drinking more tea!

But I have mixed feelings about the rest of this autumn and the beginning of winter, as I will be spending time away from family and the friends I have known for the last few years. While I am enjoying getting to know the people I am studying with and the families who are around, and I love what I am studying, it is hard to let go of the people and things I am leaving behind.

Plus, daylight savings has ended, and the days will get darker quicker, and when it is cold and wet I am not going to enjoy getting out of bed for those 8:30am lectures.

On a more positive note, I made sure I got to a flamenco class at the studio I have been dancing with for four years while I was back home, so this term I have much more incentive to find one or more classes to join when I'm back interstate. I realised how much I have missed dancing! At the very least I will be putting time aside to practice some of the routines I have learned over the years. It will be comforting to have something like that to do to get warm and keep as fit as possible through a wet, cold winter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458