1024

Ooh, I'm so excited to see those numbers increasing! Into the eleventh century now. 1066, here we come!

So, jumping straight to Wikipedia (groan, but at least it gives some information! My first source was a game site! So you can look here for more details) reveals another papal death in 1024AD. I'll have to check, but I suspect we have had a papal death in most if not all of these historical posts so far... many of them don't seem to last long as pope! Anyway, with the death of Benedict VIII his brother became Pope John XIX, the 144th pope. By my use of the calculator, that makes an average of 6-7 years per pope over a thousand year time span, although I'm sure the actual timespan of the papacy in Rome was less than that. So, odds are you will be hearing more about papal deaths during these posts!

In other world news, paper-printed money appeared in China! Sichuan province during the Song dynasty, and apparently the move was beneficial to the economy!

And of course, there were some royal deaths. Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire died, leading to a change in dynasty with Conrad II founding the Salian dynasty of the Holy Roman Empire. (Included mainly on the basis of interesting names, and the similarity of Salian to salient, at least in my mind!)

And in Moorish Spain, Abd ar-Raman V, Umayyad Caliph of Córdoba was murdered. By a mob of unemployed workmen led by his cousin, within two months of being declared Caliph.

Finally, in the realm of the arts and humanities, this year also saw the death of Alpert of Metz, a Benedictine chronicler, as well as Cuan au Lothchain, Irish poet who apparently acted as 'bard and propagandist' for his High King. (See here for the proper accents in his name, which I am yet to work out how to do in a blog.)

Another step in time. Which year will we review next? (And now I have a Mary Poppins song stuck in my head!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458