Thinking about my study so far...

So much has happened in the last three weeks that I have hardly mentioned my study! So here is a post about some of the things I am learning.


I am really enjoying what I am studying - although I don't always enjoy doing set readings! Too little narrative... For the most part, the readings are clear, and even interesting, so most of the time it is a matter of convincing myself that this is something I actually want to do, even though something (like reading a novel) sounds much more appealing. At the moment I am reading the fifth book in a series which I am really enjoying, Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik. The series considers what might have happened in the Napoleonic era if the countries had an air force of dragons. I would love to hear the opinion of someone who has studied that historical time after reading this series - how close to the actual history is it?

 I have already been distracted from the purpose of this post! Back to the study!

I have had the opportunity to look at the Spanish language from a different point of view, looking at the range of sounds used, how those sounds are affected by the sounds around them in different words, and why some sounds affect others. Fascinating for someone who likes to know why things happen the way they do. And fun to learn some new words, like the Spanish term for 'horse breaking'! I have also had the chance to look at a few things in many other languages, which I enjoy. I love learning and thinking about how people understand each other, and what has significance for them in the way they see the world.

We have looked at colour in language. Did you know that every language (apparently) has at least two words for colour, but that many only have two words for colour? And that a language which has less than five words for colour won't have a word for blue? Can you guess which colours most commonly have a word in languages? (That is, more common than 'blue'.) I find it fascinating that there should be a consistent pattern in the significance of colour across languages from all sorts of different parts of the world. It doesn't mean that people don't see in the full range of colours, just that it isn't important for them to be able to talk about colour differences to the extent that we generally like to do in English.

Perhaps the most significant impact has come from learning about how people learn, and thinking about my own experiences over the years in learning all sorts of skills. Can you remember how you learned to read? I can't. I know the stories my Mum tells about when I was learning to read, but my memories are all focused on my experiences since I could read novels to myself.

There are more ways of learning (and teaching) than I realised consciously, even though some of them I have actually done before. In particular I have reflected on how I approach learning different types of skills. Why am I willing to have a go and risk making mistakes when learning a new dance than when learning a new language? In both cases I want to get the skill right, to speak or dance well, but my approach to learning them is quite different. Have you ever experienced this?

In addition to these things, I have learned:
  • The importance of clear expectations!
  • The blessings of only morning classes - chance to do errands, readings, and write my blog!
  • The blessing of living a few minutes walk away from classes, library and computer lab!
  • To enjoy being surrounded by people from such a wide range of places!
I wonder what you have learned about me from this blog?

Have a great week! Keep learning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

Let me tell you a story...

1458