Expectations

What goes through our minds as we form our expectations? Why are we so often wrong? I try to keep my expectations low, so that I am not disappointed, and may actually be pleasantly surprised.

When I finished a book recently, I expected that it was the end of the series. I have since found out, to my pleasure and joy, that this is not the case. Not only is it not the end of the series, but there already seem to be several more published or about to be published - at least three as far as I can tell! I really look forward to finding and reading them!

I recently said goodbye to a good friend who left the country, planning to be gone for a full year. We studied together last summer, and helped out with the children's program together this summer, so most of my experience so far here has included her (and playing games like Ticket to Ride, which is bound to be mentioned again in a post sometime). I expected to not like her leaving, but I also expected to be glad for her because she is going somewhere she really wants to be, to do something she values. I also expected that it wouldn't be as bad as some of the other goodbyes because it was expected, and postponed a month longer than she originally intended.

Which leads to thinking about friendship. What do we expect from our friends? Do we expect the same things from each friend? Or is it more specific, that we expect certain things from certain friends? Do we form friendships expecting that this will make life easier or more enjoyable? Lately I have experienced the pain of watching friends suffer, and being unable to do anything to help except for expressing that I care about what they are going through, and to a much lesser extent that I am going through their suffering with them. Having friends means that their pain is to some extent your pain, just as their joys are to some extent also your joys. Having friends means sharing your life with other people, and allowing the possibility that they will hurt you, as well as the possibility that your life will be so much the better for them being part of it. It means having someone to make cakes and biscuits for, someone to have a cuppa with, someone to talk to about whatever comes into your head at the time, as well as about things which are important to you.

It means celebrating many more birthdays! This week I celebrated the birthday of a new teenager with one of the families studying here with me. I enjoyed the challenge of making a cake with the ingredients I already had in the kitchen, rather than specifically shopping for it. Thankfully there were eggs in the fridge!

So here is a picture of the latest food creation, a two-layer chocolate sponge:






How quickly our expectations change. Can you remember what you expected your life to look like when you turned 13? Beginning the transition from childhood into adulthood? What expectations do you have of life now?


I expected to finish and publish this post the other day, but the internet connection kept falling off, so you are only seeing this now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

Let me tell you a story...