Happy birthday to me!

I have never been particularly fussed about my birthday, but this year, being interstate from my family, I have thought about it a bit more. And it has been a wonderful day!

I finished reading my novel just after midnight, and then opened a present one of my friends had posted to me - I felt a little bit like a child, waiting until my actual birthday to open it, with the anticipation and excitement!

This morning I went out for breakfast with a dear friend to a lovely little tea shop nearby where I am staying. And such a lovely place! I must go there again sometime soon! I had a French themed breakfast: brioche French toast (with REAL maple syrup!) and French breakfast tea (black with a hint of malt and chocolate). It looked great, it smelled wonderful, and it all tasted delicious!


When I opened up Google, however, I think I got the biggest surprise:



At first I thought Google was celebrating something significant, then I moved the mouse past the cake title to see MY name! How does Google know my birthday?!

Lunchtime I heard a kookaburra laughing! I haven't seen or heard one since I moved here, such a joyful natural sound to hear. I hope I will here them more often now that the weather has cooled down a bit.

This afternoon I had an afternoon tea with a group of neighbours, as well as a friend who came all the way out from the city! I had some jelly cups for the children, tea cup biscuits and finger jelly for the adults, as well as a few other yummy bits and pieces!

My friend from the city helped make the tea cup biscuits, which when seen closer look like this:

My second attempt at layered jelly, and I tried a few different things. I made the jelly thicker (using less water), and stuck some down over the edge of the tray in order to get diagonal sections, so that they turned out like this:



One of the children who came had never had jelly before, and he was not convinced that this was worth eating until he saw one of the other children eating hers as quickly as possible!

And what is a birthday without cake? One of my friends here offered to bake a cake, and they all sang happy birthday, much to my amusement!


And it was delicious!

Dinner and a game of 'Ticket to Ride Europe - Days of Wonder', and now the evening is coming to a close. One more thing is scheduled for this birthday - the arrival of a new housemate! I hope you have enjoyed this day too! Thanks for being part of it by reading this!

How do you like to celebrate your birthday? See if Google knows your birthday next time you have one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

Let me tell you a story...