Letting go of my hoarding tendencies... a bit

While I am back for a few weeks, Mum has asked me (and my sisters) to work through all our stored items in her garage, as she would like to turn it into a playroom. She has even ordered a skip! Some things will also go to charitable organisations to be resold to people who may appreciate still useable items. Over the years I (and my sisters) have filled the garage with all the things we didn't need, but didn't want to get rid of...

Unlike most students, I tend to keep all my lecture notes and handouts. A few years ago Mum asked if she could get rid of my high school folders, and I said yes - except for the English and Spanish ones. This was possibly the year I was studying my Graduate Diploma in Education in order to teach, with English and Spanish my two main subjects. On Friday I realised that she still had my Year 8 and 9 English folders! Considering I don't intend to teach again I decided these could go.

I even keep notes from subjects I hated, like Economics! To be fair, I moved twice during the six years I studied at university, and then moved four times while I was teaching, and a lot of things were simply shifted from house to house in boxes without much further thought. But economics! I should have thrown those out by the end of second year, by which time it was clear I was never going to do another subject in the discipline!

On the other hand, it means I have a mountain of now empty folders - three ring binders as well as display folders. Which will be handy for next semester for me and my sister who is also studying. By the time I finish going through notes I don't want to keep, I could probably supply the rest of the students in my course with enough folders for all of their subjects too!

And yet there are still things I am reluctant to let go of. Some of these I hope to transform into much smaller and more lasting digital copies, such as my notes from my English literature and writing courses.

Some non-study related items Mum has already sold, such as some pictures I used to have on my wall. And some have already been passed on for the use of others - a bunch of coats and other warm clothes for a group of children going on a school snow trip.

The whole event is a triumph of reason over sentiment. It is no longer reasonable to keep all these things. Some will be appreciated more by others. And Mum will appreciate having some more space! And we will all appreciate having a playroom for my niece and nephews. It will keep us from worrying too much when they go quiet!

Comments

  1. It can be so hard to throw things out!!! :( I have kept all my BCSA notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look out your bedroom is next

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!