The Library

I have always loved libraries, and I have always loved my local library. As a child, the school library held wonders beyond imagining. It seemed the biggest room in the world (perhaps except for the school hall) and it was full of books! A few snug corners to curl up in, and friendly staff who always helped you borrow what you wanted.

I have revisited that school library as an adult, and I must say, there was less magic there. Perhaps the magic lurked at my knee level, or hid under the bookshelves, only within reach of the smallest students. Invisible to adults. It seemed so much smaller! And yet, still filled with books! Still a wonderful place for many other children, just as it once was for me.

I know in my head that the local public library must have been built while I was in school, probably sometime after I was 8 years old, and that we would sometimes go to the public library in the next town. The public library in the next town was in a beautiful old building, probably once a private home, with delightful twists and turns, darker than a modern space usually is. A bit moody, or atmospheric. This library was always open on Monday, while my local public library closed for the day.

And yet most of my library memories are connected to my local public library, in the town where I went to primary school, the area in which I lived for all my childhood memories. I have previously written about taking my nieces and nephews to that library. Sadly, joyously, that particular space is no longer a library, as the town now has a beautiful new library, a bigger library, with new furniture and a new layout, and an intimidating array of activities which run through the week, and even on Saturday mornings!

I have enjoyed being part of the creative writing group which started a few months ago, sharing some things I have written a while ago, and some things I've written recently, and hearing so many different kinds of stories and poems, both fiction and non-fiction. In the last few weeks I've shared on here a few pieces I've written in or for the group: The Past Pen and Death of a Dream. I have been setting myself some personal challenges over the last few years (Reading Challenge 2017, Reading Challenge 2018, Recipe Challenge, and Writing in Spanish for a Year), and as a result of some of the conversations in the creative writing group I am considering setting myself a Writing Challenge for 2019!

I hope you have wonderful memories of your school or local public library from your childhood. I hope you have had fun exploring your local library as an adult. If you haven't visited your local library, please do so soon! You never know what you're missing out on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

Let me tell you a story...