A Year of Writing in Spanish

In January I shared a little about my determination to write a diary in Spanish. Surprisingly, I actually managed to write at least 100 words in Spanish every day last year!

This means I have a record of much of what has happened in my daily life throughout the year - when I was feeling a bit unwell, which of my nieces and nephews I saw each day (and which days I didn't see any of them). Between this diary and the bullet journal I started keeping in April, I probably have a more accurate record of this year than any other year in my life to date! I could even use my Spanish diary to tell you what book I was reading at any given point in the year! I've never before managed to keep track of which titles I've read for such a long time frame, as I generally read more than one book a week.

What I continue to find difficult is finding ways to express my thoughts, feelings, fears and dreams in Spanish.

So this year I am continuing with my daily writing in Spanish, with one key difference. This year I am not keeping a diary, I am trying to write more creatively. So some days this may look like a short story of about 100 words, but so far it has been more a case of writing 100 words on a topic which has come to mind through the day, often an event or situation, but sometimes an idea. And I am finding it much easier to write different things each day, while last year I found I was using a few sentence structures very frequently to record what each day contained, and to fill in the 100 words.

In the long term I aim to get to the point where I am willing to write more publicly in Spanish, here or in another blog. But I am not at that point yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

Of snow and mountains