Of Children and Libraries

I have had the privilege and the pleasure of taking several of my nieces and nephews to the library over the last few months. As libraries are among my favourite places, because books are one of my favourite things, I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing them with the children in my life, and I have been thrilled to watch them enjoy time spent in the library too.



I took my five year old nephew to the library during the last school holidays (July). We had a look at books, read one together, created some corner bookmarks together in the little craft space the staff had set up, and then spent time creating things with Lego in a room set up for that purpose for the day. Wow, what a day! He has asked to go to the library again, and yet it is so hard to find the time to take him with most of his days being taken up by the important role of student.

I have taken my four year old niece a few times - kindy only takes up two of her weekdays, so this is simpler to achieve. We usually get through a few books, wander around the various sections and talk about different kinds of books, helps me borrow anything we have decided to borrow at the machines for doing your loans, before walking through the shops to the supermarket to spend $2 on a snack to take home and share with the rest of the family. She also enjoys my favourite band, although we only get time for one song on the way to the library, and another song on the way home.

More amusing are my trips with my two year old niece. We usually only get through one book together - though last time we got through three - and she likes to have her own book to 'read' while sitting next to me on one of the comfortable couches scattered throughout the library.

Comfy couch and cuddly toys
 At the moment she is fascinated by dinosaurs, which meant trying to find picture books about or involving dinosaurs, when the picture books are organised in boxes according to the author's last name, not according to topic... And sometimes you can sneak a dragon past as a dinosaur...

Dinosaurs and dragons and babies - basically the same, right?
She once found an empty bottom shelf to lie down on! She encourages me in my borrowing. I make sure to follow through on the $2 snack purchase, as I have with her sister, not that she understands the money involved. The difference in walking with a two year old compared to walking with a four or five year old is huge! A stroller on our last visit made everything so much simpler!

With the school year in Australia rapidly coming to a close, I hope to spend some more time with each of my nieces and nephews before the library closes for the Christmas to New Year break. I look forward to some sunny but not too hot days for walks to the library as summer hints at arriving.

Comments

  1. Love hearing about you takibg my girls xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Love spending time with them! Thanks for letting me borrow them! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458