Spring - how I hate thee!

I have previously written a bit about my perspective on the four seasons: Summer to autumn; Autumn or winter; and Winter and food which warms the heart. Last weekend I was asked which I prefer, summer or winter. If you have read some of the above posts, you will know my answer. If not, the answer is winter. (Or at least, the Australian version of winter, which involves no snow!)

What I haven't written about (as far as I can remember or find) is how much I detest spring.


It is by far my least favourite season. Which may sound odd, when it is often one of the favourites for a lot of people. The difference is, spring is closely connected with pain and suffering for me. I have asthma, and I get hayfever. So, a high pollen count is bad for my breathing, with blocked or runny nose, but it also tends to trigger my asthma, which otherwise is fairly minor for the rest of the time.

I have often said that I love a good view (or garden) - through a window. This applies to my enjoyment or lack of enjoyment of different seasons of the year. One of the reasons I dislike spring so much, is the expectation that you should spend a lot of time outdoors 'enjoying' the weather. Which, when the weather is at least in part responsible for my breathing difficulties, I find hard to do! This is also one of the reasons why I love winter so much - very few people encourage you to go outside to 'enjoy' the weather, because there is not much to enjoy, and I can instead spend a lot of my weekends and any holiday time inside, curled up with a cup of tea and a good book to read!

Having said all this, though, the drive interstate yesterday allowed me to experience some of the best parts of spring: sunny weather, comfortably warm temperatures both in the car and when I stopped for meals and snacks and to change CDs, and lingering daylight. It was a long day though, leaving home at 9am and arriving where I'm living this year at 9pm. I lost an hour and a half yesterday! Half an hour on the road when I crossed the border, and then another hour when I went to bed and put my clocks forward an hour for daylight saving!

So I, for one, look forward to summer setting in fully. We started daylight saving, and summer weather usually kicks in by mid November, so we are heading there! For those of you reading from the northern hemisphere, enjoy your autumn! And have a lovely winter! If you need book recommendations, let me know!

But before summer fully kicks in, there is one more term of my course to go. So much to do, and so little time!

Comments

  1. Yep I think I think about the same except I don't have the asthma. What I don't like is wanting to go outside but knowing that hay fever is likely to ruin the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!