Who are you, really?

I started writing this post sometime last year, and never got around to finishing it or posting it. So now I have added a bit about who I am here.

I do rather enjoy those little quizzes that go around every now and then to determine which fictional character you are most like. I would love to know how people decide on questions, and how the results are calculated - actually, I change my mind, I'm very happy not knowing how it is done!

Book Week Scotland have a quiz for 'Who in fiction are you?'.
"You are Mma Ramotswe from The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency
Mma Ramotswe relies on her intuition and understanding of people, rather than attention to the details of the law, to help her solve cases. Her rare insight into how people work is something you share. Your quest for finding meaning in life draws you towards jobs that help you make the world a better place. Although you’re generally calm and laid-back, on bad days you can become introverted, stubborn and inflexible, and you have a strong dislike for conflict. Yet you are capable of achieving so much, including great writing, if you’d only give yourself more credit."

'Which New "Doctor Who" Companion Are You?'
"You got: Rory Williams!
          
The Roman Centurion! You’re thoughtful, compassionate, and dedicated to your loved ones. You may look sweet, but you are, in fact, a massive BAMF."

 Then, in a whole other direction, travelling gives you new opportunities to see how other people see you. And how you see yourself! Here in Spain, I was told my name was 'too difficult to pronounce', and promptly found myself in the midst of a conversation to find another name for me. Considering it is a Spanish variation on the pronunciation of my middle name, is this a nickname? Or an 'aka'? Have I been given the first nickname that has ever stuck to me? And now, just to make things more confusing, some of them are pronouncing it the English way!

Here, with  all the years of study I have done, I have the least experience in using the language of the land. While I generally understand the content of classes, there are SO many words that are new! Some of them are Spanish pronunciations of terms we used last year in Australia, and so are easy to recognise (but not easy to guess beforehand!), but some are translations to Spanish words, and these are by far the hardest to understand in class! That, and the differences between the vocabulary of Mexico and Spain which come up in class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

Let me tell you a story...