Of snow and mountains



Before I came to Spain I had never seen snow falling, or walked through snow, or experienced freezing point temperatures. I can now say I have experienced all of these things! Neither had I spent much time in mountainous country. The streets can be fairly steep here!

The view from the spring where I collect water!


The steepest street I have a photo of so far!
It seems that the view at the end of every street in this town includes a mountain! Many are capped in snow, and otherwise the dominant colours are the greens and browns of the trees on the slopes. Plus a brilliant blue sky – we have had over a week of beautiful sunshine. I have been informed by a local that they have pretty much had snow and no sunshine since November until after I arrived! At times the snow accumulated to be several feet deep! Sounds like moving around was pretty treacherous here for a while, and I must say I am glad to not have had to experience months of snow. It was pretty but cold, and not comfortable to walk in!


The only photo I have of snow before it all disappeared!
The garden was all white the day before I took this photo.
The wind and air sometimes feel rather icy, as if they have been refrigerated by those snow-capped mountains surrounding the town! I look forward to watching the progress of Spring more than I usually do. I’ll be very interested to see how much flowering happens, what kinds of plants are around, and how the colour scheme will change. I’ve been told autumn was stunning, so I have pretty high hopes. I’m also interested to see how, if at all, spring and the pollens will affect my asthma, which has been pretty negligible so far!

One of the downsides to being here in Spain, in the Northern Hemisphere at all, at this time of the year for three months means I’ll miss autumn back home, and return just in time for winter to be settling in when I do get home! And then I’ll get another spring! But that is all still a very long time away, and I am just enjoying what is happening right now.

Comments

  1. When I went to the UK to teach, I left in September and returned in May - so I pretty much went Aussie winter - UK winter - Aussie winter... with a few weeks of sunshine in between haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does NOT sound like fun, Taija! I´m glad you survived! Was the Aussie winter less sever than the UK winter? I hope so!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458