Unbirthday

I enjoy celebrating with people. I love celebrating weddings, engagements, birthdays, good news - pretty much anything! Especially if it gives me a reason to bake something to share with people. I am very disappointed that I have missed out on several of these opportunities lately, because I've been in the wrong place! In the last week I have missed two engagement parties and one wedding, all because I was in the wrong state at the time they were happening. I am thrilled for all the friends who have been involved in these celebrations, even though I had to miss out on the parties (and probably cake).

So, I am making the most of the opportunities I do have to celebrate with people when I am with them. And so I have initiated Unbirthdays. Two of the students who are studying by distance are here for the first two weeks have their birthdays after that time - one in the week after she leaves, and the other in December. So this Friday saw the first Unbirthday celebration.


In honour of this significant event, I made my first attempt at a multi-coloured layer cake! It had three layers: red, green, blue. Not that you can see them all from looking at the whole cake! It was still warm when we had it for morning tea. (This is what happens when you think you have a lecture at 8:30am, and then find out at that time that you don't have lectures until 10:40am - time to bake a cake!)



The colours turned out quite bright! I wasn't sure how they would turn out. The green batter looked a light pea green kind of colour, but it turned out a very bright green! The blue batter was quite dark, but also turned out quite bright - although unfortunately it also remained the thinnest layer, so it wasn't as clear as the other two layers. The 'red' remained fairly light, potentially seeming pink, depending on your point of view!

My neighbours have a five year old daughter, who came home from school to see pieces of this cake in her home. Apparently her first reaction was, 'Yay! Play dough!' Followed by the realisation that it was not play dough, which led to the question, 'What is it?' She wasn't the only one surprised by this bright, multi-coloured cake, and it was great to see the expressions of surprise and curiosity on people's faces!

I am looking forward to celebrating more Unbirthdays in the next few weeks - with at least one actual birthday. I saw some princess cupcakes a friend shared on Facebook, and I'm keen to try making some like them! I am also open to suggestions from you, readers. Is there anything you would like to see me try to make?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!

1458