Being a tourist: Part 2 - how to feel small and temporary



We returned from Las Médulas for a late lunch, and thoroughly enjoyed the food prepared for us in our absence! Then a second trip was brought up. The only problem seemed to be that we couldn’t fit all 6 of us in the car. As the father of one of the students had stayed behind in the morning, we decided that one of the other three of us students would stay behind. And yet, when I drew the piece of paper to stay behind, no one seemed happy to leave it at that. I was a bit embarrassed to be the cause of so much hassle, as I was actually happy to stay home, but in the end we had three cars and fourteen people (including four children) heading out for the next trip.

We headed for Aturias, a neighbouring autonomous community. An autonomous community is a little bit more independent than a state in Australia, as far as I understand it, but I’m not entirely sure of all the differences. And even though Spain is about the same size as South Australia, there are 17 autonomous communities!


It didn't take long before the scenery changed significantly. The mountains around Villablino are covered with trees and plants, lush and green. The mountians in Asturias felt grander and starker and older somehow.


We visited a little village, sitting at more than 1300 metres above sea level.

 This is from the lookout point a short walk from the village. At the lookout point were a few of those things that help you find a particular point on the horizon, such as this one:


Meanwhile, the village looks more like this:



Stunning views on a day of sunshine, although it was still pretty cold - especially as we arrived there early in the evening (from an Australian point of view).


Some of the buildings, like this one, are traditional constructions. From what I remember animals were kept inside these as well as the family.

A glimpse of flowering trees - from a distance it reminded me of almond blossom, but I'm pretty sure it isn't!

Looking down the mountainside revealed luxurious green fields like these:


But the mountains marched on, on all sides, in mighty majesty, mindless of the meanderings of minute mortals.


The thing that surprised me the most was finding out that the village is deserted for at least three months of the year. The residents take their animals and move away for the winter. I shudder to think how cold this place would be in January! I wonder how deep the snow gets? The power of climate over frail humanity!

Comments

  1. I've been vety busy. Ha hs. Adelaide then Roxby repeatedly. Quess who!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

Let me tell you a story...