Humility, patience, and a lot of forgiveness: Things needed to learn a language

I have now been in Spain for more than nine weeks, so I thought I'd share an update on my language learning experience and progress. In case you're interested, my previous post can be found here.

The process of learning a language in another country where that language is used can be extremely frustrating. I am used to understanding quickly and doing very well in my studies. I like to read and can usually wade through pages relatively quickly.

This is not necessarily the case in Spanish.
Every day there are words I don't understand - and often words I've never heard before - which are used in class. Then there are words which I thought I understood until they are used in a new context and with a slightly (or completely) different meaning. The key advantage I have is that I have studied most of the content of my classes previously in English, which means I am sometimes able to supply the gap in my Spanish through my prior understanding of the topic being covered in class. But when it comes to the readings, I feel that my progress is painfully slow. I am glad I don't have a television or internet access at home, because they are two less distractions when I am struggling with reading in Spanish.

Due to these and related issues, I have needed to exercise a lot of patience - mostly with myself - as well as maintain an attitude of humility. I don't like to be corrected, but I want to learn to speak well, and therefore need to be corrected. It's just that sometimes it is hard to accept correction when people are busy laughing at the funny things you say! Hmm... that sounds like a line from a Cat Empire song, 'The Chariot'! The laughter is easier to cope with in one on one settings, rather than (what feel like) large, public setttings! And it is always easier to cope with when I am not tired and confused.

I am making significant progress, though it doesn't feel like it very often! I have appreciated studying Grammar in Spanish, especially when so many of the examples used in the textbook demonstrate and explain how and why part of Spanish grammar work the way they do - some great insights! And while I still occasionally need help finding the words for what I am trying to express in Spanish (and by occasionally, I mean pretty much at least once in every conversation), I realised the other day that I am understanding so much more of what is said around me than I could even three or four weeks ago.

Sometimes, though, I make horrible mistakes, and need to remember to forgive myself. The other side to this is that I need others to forgive me as well - when I unintentionally offend or embarrass someone by what I say or do. One of the hardest things for me has been understanding the cultural (and often non-verbal) cues in conversations and social situations.

I am very grateful for the patience of those around me. Even if their undivided attention when I speak is unsettling sometimes! They are usually kind enough to explain their reactions (once they finish laughing) when I say something odd or unexpected.

Plus, they still seem surprised and pleased to eat food prepared by an Australian! It is nice to be able to surprise them sometimes!

It also helps that the weather is finally warming up. We might actually experience spring here! It's a pity I'll leave before seeing summer here, but it is delightful to watch the increasing vibrant greenness of the mountains and the flowers popping up everywhere!

Blue skies have been a lovely novelty lately.

I've been told this is a lilac tree. Smells amazing!

Walking around doing errands is very satisfying with lovely weather like this.

Even the snow left on a few of the mountains looks prettier against a blue sky!
I plan to practise writing in Spanish more, as well as reading aloud. I'm missing the company of the nearly three year old I've spent a lot of time with here - he and his family left last week. So I'll just have to find other people to read to and play language games with!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!