1458

It's been a while since I posted anything, and today I'm busy with an assignment, but I wanted to briefly move on with my history post, so that I can reach my next cool goal!

So, what happened in 1458? I'm resorting to Wikipedia again to try to keep this brief in writing time, but it is looking like a fairly busy year!

Of popes and royals:
Matthias I Corvinus became king of Hungary.
George of Podebrady became king of Bohemia.
Pope Pius II became the 210th pope! After the death of Pope Callixtus III.

Of significant (or interesting) deaths:
Alfonso V, king of Aragon (June 27). Succeeded by his brother, John II (Juan II - why are some names of foreign monarchs anglicised unnecessarily?)
Lazar Brankovic, Despot of Serbia (February 20). (Interesting title!)

Íñigo López de Mendoza, marqués de Santillana, a Spanish poet (March 25).
Arthur III, Duke of Brittany (December 26).
Isabelle Romée, mother of Joan of Arc. She had succeeded in having her daughter's conviction of heresy overturned two years before she died, more than 25 years after Joan's death.

Of other events:
King Afonso V of Portugal conquers Alcacer Ceguer (in Northern Africa).
Magdalen College, Oxford founded!
Luis Cadamosto discovered the (first?) Cape Verde islands.
The Turks issued a decree to protect the Acropolis after they conquered Athens.

Next stop: 1492!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!